Tyrian Covenant [HERO]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
SAL
SAL
Leader
Leader
Male Gemini Dragon
https://tyriancovenant.forumotion.com

What's your favorite character(s)? Empty What's your favorite character(s)?

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:03 pm
We had some thread like this on the old forum, but I think it got lost and never made it to this one. Anyway, I think it's interesting to hear what people's favorite character class is, and why.

I have 8 PvE characters, all pretty much maxed out, which include every class except Necromancer and Dervish. I enjoy them all to a decent extent. My favorite at any given time seems to shift a bit, and I don't have just one stable solid favorite above all the rest. Sometimes I'll enjoy playing one class for a while, then get the urge to play a different class for a while, etc.

Overall though, here's a list of how I would have to classify the characters in general:

1. The Warrior is just very solidly designed as a tank in the game, but also has a lot of versatility to it. I like having their flexibility of condition spreading, shutdown, and defensive abilities to choose from. I also really like the adrenaline system, and how it effectively gives Warriors two different types of energy pools to pull from when using skills. They also have a fast style of gameplay, making heavy use of stances and shouts that can be activated instantly and used anytime. They've also got the coolest looking gear in my opinion, and they're just a really fun class to collect stuff for. I've played it the most out of any character, and usually take Warrior into most elite areas first before trying them using my other characters. Sometimes I'll still prefer playing other classes, but I think I've got to place Warrior as my #1 favorite overall.

2. The Ritualist has always been a powerhouse character, but was overlooked in that way for quite a while. I recognized the power of their binding rituals early though, and have had a lot of fun with that aspect of the class for a long time in particular. Due to the PvE changes to the class over time they've become even stronger, and are finally seeing more mainstream use in PvE, but the fun of the class has always been there for me from the start. I also love their versatility, and the fact they can do so many different things effectively without needing the use of any secondary profession really makes them fun and intricate to me. It's combination of versatility and power actually makes the Ritualist a pretty close second place to Warrior, bringing it in as my #2 favorite class overall.

3. The Mesmer has always been a bit of a niche character, but a very fun one none the less, and a strong contender for my favorite concept for a class. One aspect of them that appeals to me a lot is their fast-paced gameplay in particular. But I also like their strong focus on counters and shutdowns, in addition to delivering some high armor-ignoring damage. It's always been my favorite PvP class overall, in which they're just devastatingly brutal killers. And now with the recent update, they've become equally brutal killing machines in PvE as well.

4. My Elementalist was my very first character, so I'll always have a special place in my heart for it. But even disregarding that sentimentality, I've always enjoyed their brute power output abilities. I also like the versatility of their different elements, which allow them to add in different "sub abilities" to their consistent damage output (ie. the different shutdown abilities of Earth and Air, snaring ability of Water, or Fire's ability to burn). It's a very versatile offensive class that I've always enjoyed using in both PvE and PvP, making it one of the more enjoyable character classes to me overall.

5. The Monk is definitely the most effective healer class in the game, so much so that it's the only healing class that people have really ever relied on in organized party situations. So the fun value of the monk tends to largely be connected to how fun it is to you to heal. I enjoy healing with the monk enough to like using the character whenever I feel like I want to perform this function, but most of the time I enjoy dealing damage or tanking much more than being a straight healer. So it's a great class for what it is, and I do like it a lot, but healing just isn't always my favorite thing to be doing in the game.

6. The Dervish is one class that I didn't have much interest in at all initially. It appears to be versatile on the surface, but always seemed second best at everything. It also can't really do much that's distinctly unique, except maybe for the Avatar shapeshifting, but that seems more of a cosmetic thing rather than really adding much unique to their gameplay. Luckily they've improved a lot of the Dervish's skills since their beginning, and now it's become a much more effective and interesting tanking class than it used to be. It still may not be quite as versatile as the Warrior, but their mixture of powerful defensive skills and decent damage output makes them a class that's grown on me.

7. The Ranger can be a fun class to play, but can be a little bit of a one-trick pony in PvE, where Barrage has always been the anchor that all of their most effective builds end up inevitably revolving around. This drops its versatility a bit, though some of their unique abilities can keep it a decently interesting class that keeps me coming back to it at least once in a while. I do enjoy their combination of durability, interruption abilities, and different bow type choices in particular, and their inherent ability to use a pet is also a pretty neat gimmick. But despite liking the many unique features of the class, its gameplay can still feel pretty repetitive and limited, and it never holds my interest quite as long as any of the classes mentioned above.

8. The Paragon is an unusual situation for me. I really wanted to like it, and still like the concept behind it, which is basically a Warrior with a ranged weapon and defensive abilities for the whole team (sounds great!). Unfortunately, the Paragon skills are mostly either too conditional or too weak to really be as effective as it seems like they should be. I still enjoy playing it once in a while, but since their most effective function by far in PvE is as an imbagon (which is pretty mindless and ironically revolves around the use of the non-Paragon skill "Save Yourselves"), it really limits their versatility a lot. If they just tweaked the Paragon skills a bit, to make them stronger and less conditional, I can see this class jumping up in my favorites list fairly easily. But as it stands now, it's just hard to really enjoy playing it for very long.

9. I really liked the Assassin initially, blitzing through Factions with my newly created Assassin when that game first came out (I ended up getting him elite Luxon armor before even really touching Factions with any other character). Since then though, the class just hasn't kept my interest as much as most other classes. I really like the damage output, but hate dying constantly, which tends to happen a lot with their limited defensive options, especially against most of the spellcaster classes. And I also didn't like using perma-Shadowform, which was really the only way to keep them alive in most difficult areas, and had dominated their PvE use for a long time. Overall their playability options seem to be somewhat limited in PvE, and just not really my style of play.

10. I've tried making a couple of PvE Necromancers, but ended up deleting them. I recognize it as a powerful class, but for some reason it just isn't really my thing. Out of the different things it can do, I definitely like Minion Mastering the most, but even that gets pretty monotonous to me fairly quickly in PvE. I usually keep a PvP Necromancer for Alliance Battles though, which I do enjoy using from time to time.

Last edited by Arcana on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:24 am; edited 23 times in total

What's your favorite character(s)? Empty Re: What's your favorite character(s)?

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:47 am
My favorite class will always be assassin. I have always played a thief or rogue character in rpgs (I LOVE Shadow Dancers in DnD) and while there is no way to "hide" in GW the assassin is still lots of fun with their shadow stepping and condition spamming (crit-barrage is just plain awesome!).
Lately though, I have found a deep appreciation for rangers. They are probably the most versatile class I have tried yet. Aside from barraging, condition spamming and interupting; they can also work great as tanks (due to various 75% blocking stances) and spirit spammers (due to expertise).

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:38 am
I might not be very qualified to reply to this thread as I only play one character. And when I say that, I literally mean that I never played any other class... EVER. So comparison is something I cannot do. But this is why I love my necromancer:

Besides the fact that I only play one character in any MMO, the necromancer has shown to be the best choice for me.

The original reason was I wanted to pop minions. That was basically it. When I choose to make a character, I regard different aspects. I made my character in Prophecies, so I had 6 classes to choose from. First, I`m a born caster; that removes warrior and rangers (which I do not remember ever making in any MMO I played, and trust me, I played a LOT).

Second, I`m almost never a healer. The stress is just too great to be enjoyable, even though I do a decent job. I prefer killing stuff. By far. So no monk either.

There was Ele, Mes and Necro left. I removed ele from the choices because I made one in the MMO I was playing before (FFXI), and although I really just LOVED it, that was because of the Skill Chain aspect that FFXI has and GW doesn`t. So I voted for a change. The minion aspect made me choose Necro.

Then I stick with it, because I never feel like doing everything again.

Why do I love it so much ? Well first, it can go everywhere. Almost ALL parts of GW, in any campain, require or at least appreciate a necro or two.

The minions can patch for a missing tank. The damage is good enough to patch for a missing ele (not the same, but close enough). The Soul Reaping is the Uber-Super talent of necros. They just can`t run out of energy, and if they do, they have skills to bring it back fast. A few blood skills and curses are uber in 1v1 (unless the person I fight against has a build specifically made to kill a necro, they have a really hard time. Only assassins have proven effective against me in AB... or a monk, but then it can`t kill me either, so...).

The versability is impressive. It can patch for almost anything. Can heal, can kill, can tank, can curse, can regen energy, can spirit spam, can solo... name it!

That is why I love my necro.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:55 pm
No Kami Dear, it isn't because that is the only class you have played....you just picked right the first time! I have played extensively with just about every class, but hands down my favorite is the Necro. I know, I know, everyone is shocked, right? Hahaha But basically ditto to everything Kami said. My second would have to be elemenTAList. Razz (For those of you who don't know, I pronounce it wrong, as in elementist, and Jeremy and Kevin LOVE to tease me about it.) Cool thread and I look forward to what others think. I love that I can be soooo sure Necro is the best and yet others can feel just as strongly about different classes- its what makes this game so fun!

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:41 pm
I love necromancer for SS/MoP and Paragon for ImbaGon (:

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:31 am
I love all character. As long as i have fun in the game. I have all 10 character class.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:21 am
moali5 wrote:I love all character. As long as i have fun in the game. I have all 10 character class.

same for me
Chaos
Chaos
Male Aries Pig

Fri May 28, 2010 10:40 pm
I would have to say my favorites are Between Dervish,Necromancer and Mesmer. When i 1st started guild wars i made a mesmer but he didnt stick so i went on to necro and loved him, Ive never been into minions im more blood magic because i liked not having to depend on a monk as much, In fact in some mishes people depend on necros for BiP. Mesmer Because i love the play style, You have to be fast and interactive with what your up against an example If your fighting a warrior you dont wanna put on back fire you want empathy. They just describe chaos for me, There builds make every skill count and you never know whats going to happen. Dervish Because I love the scythes and i think the enchant/Dechant is just amazing It makes it feel like your more in the game. Dervs can also tank,run and solo alot. But the one problem with them is the Enchanting takes forever, I have to wait 10 seconds before even attacking.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:49 am
I love the mesmer, i have 1 for PvE and a PvP mesm. The cool thing about mesmers is that you never run out of energy, so the constant energy combined with spamable damage skills like Necrosis is just awesome. The downside of a mesmer is that he's very dependant on a melee-er, so he won't get hurt (much). And in PvP i use either the Lyssa build, the VoR build or the one to stop contamination bombers. Oh, i love the VoR build, very apropriate with the sentence:"it hurts you more than you hurt me" , Twisted Evil

Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:13 pm
I like warriors for one reason. They are simple. I can relax while I lay and I don't have to constantly mash buttons for most builds.
SAL
SAL
Leader
Leader
Male Gemini Dragon

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:15 pm
Olrun The Blade wrote:I like warriors for one reason. They are simple. I can relax while I lay and I don't have to constantly mash buttons for most builds.
Ironically, I like the Warrior best in situations where the opposite to this is true. When tanking Elite HM areas in particular, the Warrior has easily one of the most intense and frantic-paced gameplay styles, often requiring rapid continuous skill use and constant attention and field monitoring in order to be a truly effective tank.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:32 pm
I've got an interest in all classed exept paragons and dervs, dervs don't seem that much to me and spears aren't as impressive as a sword or an axe, and i don't think their armor looks like much, and dervishes, well, i think their armor is ridiculous(exept for primeval, primeval looks übernice), though avatar skills make up for that, they're a running class, and i dont like running.:/
Also: very little armor options for both, sins and rits too, but rits have spirits and sins have nice armors Very Happy

btw, i think elegant and ancient attire for mesms are the only decent ones, too bad :/ but mesms are still a deadly class if ignored for a while, they can wrack u or let u wrack yourself with a mix of VoR, Empathy and WW Very Happy

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:12 pm
minds has to be nercos i love them i always got hooked on something that can look that freaky. even tho nercos are vampire per say and thats another counts toward y i am in loves with them. i could never get the reason y players mm so much. so ya nerco all the way getting into warrior and monks again but i will always have a nerco on hand

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:08 am
nerco=>necro Razz
unless i'm wrong of course.
Valynn Lionhart
Valynn Lionhart
Leader
Leader
Female Libra Horse

Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:39 pm
My favorite classes are:

My first favorite and dominant main is Ritualist (Eden Dunamis). What's your favorite character(s)? 100px-10

I love the concept of ritualist being that they're all about the spiritual. They are a mysterious class that deals damage with the power of spirits and their ancestors. I just think that is neat and unique. I love to spirit spam the best, but restoration is fun as well. I think that ritualist is actually quite versatile and good at more than spirit spamming. I used to dual farm greens with Scott a lot, and I would make up channeling/resto builds to deal a lot of spike damage and heal us while Scott used communing spirits. That was before the Signet of Spirits update.

My second favorite and secondary main is Monk (Faith Dunamis). What's your favorite character(s)? 100px-11

Monk is a natural favorite for me due to it's "holy" nature. I really like characters that use "the light" as their power source. I also love being a support character. This is a fun healing/protecting class, and a favorite for me from very early on.

My third favorite class is Paragon (Trinity Dunamis). What's your favorite character(s)? 100px-12

As with monk, Paragons are a support class that is "holy" in nature. I love their durability and the guardian nature of their skills. They aren't really big for damage, but using imbagon is pretty fun when you realize just how much it is helping the team's survivability. I look forward to the upcoming buff for this class.

Fourth on my favorite list is Necromancer (Sapphira Dunamis). What's your favorite character(s)? 100px-13

So, if you know me well, you know I LOVE zombie movies! Necromancer is a natural choice for me for that reason and a few others. I like their style in general, and the whole minion master thing is something I really enjoy. After seeing the new and improved necromancer for Guild Wars 2, I know it'll be one of my favorite classes there as well.

I just focused on my top 4, but I'll list the others in order of how much I like them. I actually have all 10 classes maxed out and capable of doing almost anything in the game.

5th - Elementalist
6th - Warrior
7th - Mesmer
8th - Dervish
9th - Ranger
10th - Assassin

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:23 pm
my favorite all time char to play is ranger. not because i think it is the best profession but because it is the one the suits my stlye and personality. archery is a big part of my life. i spend most days with a bow in my hand.
i have several lvl 20 chars of various professions and to be honest they just arent me.
my ranger acts alot like i do in real life...she is bad to aggro every enemy in sight. you think she is going one way and she runs another. she gets lost, stuck distracted and rarely pays attention to the big screne in front of her.
the professions
i absolutely do not like to play are paragon, derv and ritualist. i apprecitate their contributions to the game just have no personal affinity for them.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum