Tyrian Covenant [HERO]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
SAL
SAL
Leader
Leader
Male Gemini Dragon
https://tyriancovenant.forumotion.com

How will the Profession system work? Empty How will the Profession system work?

Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:23 am
After watching the trailer, I've thought about the profession system that the game will likely use. I've come up with what I suspect they may be doing (or at least I hope so).

I'm thinking that when creating a character, you'll get to choose your race, and then one profession. The professions will all be the same for each race. But the race itself will basically be a profession of its own as well, with it's own individual skill set and attribute set. This way, you'll get a dual-class system between the race and profession, but it will avoid the primary/secondary system that I feel has gotten so messy in GW.

Using an example, let's use the professions from the original Guild Wars (Prophecies).
You'll have 6 professions: Warrior, Monk, Ranger, Necromancer, Elementalist, Mesmer
You'll have 5 races: Human, Charr, Asura, Norn, Sylvari

If you choose a Norn, for example, you'll then be able to also choose one of the 6 professions. So let's say we make a Norn Monk. You'll have full access to the entire set of Norn skills and attributes, which can be used just like you can use the Monk skills and attributes. You'll be able to place attribute points into any of the Norn or Monk attributes, and choose any of the skills from either your race or profession to place on your skillbar. If there's something like runes in the game, you'd be able to rune your armor out for the Norn or Monk attributes, or any mixture of the two. Lastly, the game would likely let you be able to potentially change your profession, but never your race.

I wanted to post this to get feedback about how it sounds. and also to see whether my idea about it actually comes true in the game. Feel free to post other ideas about what you think they may use as a class system in GW2 as well, I'm curious to see what other people think they might do for it.

How will the Profession system work? Empty Re: How will the Profession system work?

Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:15 am
That's a good idea, Scott. And I think you might be right.

I didn't think guild wars was going to do the races the way WoW has (you know - certain racial abilites, but in general doesn't really matter what race you are).

The only problem I see with that is that for certain classes your going to pretty much have to pick a certain race. I'm imaginging the norns being the warriors and rangers, asuran being casters, charr being good at warrios, humans being somewhere in the middle..etcetc. So they'd have to balance it somehow.
SAL
SAL
Leader
Leader
Male Gemini Dragon
https://tyriancovenant.forumotion.com

How will the Profession system work? Empty Re: How will the Profession system work?

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:15 pm
What I'm envisioning though is essentially a dual primary class system, where unlike WoW, the races will have their own attributes and complete skill sets of their own. So for instance, "Norn" will actually be a full stand-alone class in exactly the same way as "Monk" is.

This may of course make certain blends of race/professions more popular than others, I'm sure. The Norn skill set will likely include a lot of skills that improve melee combat and tanking, I would expect, and it would make sense on the surface to pair that with a Warrior profession, which will likely have similar types of skills in its skill set. But it could also be beneficial to mix and match in other less obviously compatible ways as well, because it would increase the flexibility of your character, letting you potentially fill more functions with it than just one. The limited skill bar would limit the mixing of skills to some degree anyway, allowing you to focus on your race or profiession exclusively at any given time.

For instance, suppose I have a Norn Monk, and want to do a specific mission or group activity in the game. If someone's looking for a tank/warrior type of character for their group, I could just fill my skill bar with Norn skills and go as a tank. If they're looking for a healer though, I can just fill my bar with Monk skills, and I'm set as a healer. And heck, if they're looking for an offensive spellcaster, I could possibly even switch my profession to Elementalist, assuming I've gotten Elementalist skills on my character, and fill my skill bar with those.

This could potentially let you be able to specialize in multiple tasks without really much penalty most of the time, especially if it lets you change your profession as easily as it does in GW1. It would be really useful in a game where it sounds like they're intending the building and maximizing of a single character to take considerably longer than it does in GW1, since it could eliminate (or at least diminish) the necessity of having a lot of separate characters built up.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:06 pm
That last parts a good point - And I think you might be right. Since I've heard that the level cap is probably going to be significantly raised for GW2, it's not going to be as easy as it is now to fill up your character slots. It takes all of a month to make a full account of 8 characters at level 20. It might be nice to only have 1-2 characters (or I suppose 5, since you'll probably want one of each race).

I guess we'll see when the time comes.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum