Tyrian Covenant [HERO]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
SAL
SAL
Leader
Leader
Male Gemini Dragon
https://tyriancovenant.forumotion.com

GW2 profession speculations Empty GW2 profession speculations

Wed May 26, 2010 12:49 pm
Here's a thread to make speculations about the classes/professions in GW2.

They've explicitly said there will be three general class types, the Soldier, Adventurer, and Scholar. This is loosely based off of the class structure from GW1 that's already in place:
SOLDIER CLASS (Armor Base 80) - Warrior, Paragon
ADVENTURER CLASS (Armor Base 70) - Ranger, Assassin, Dervish
SCHOLAR CLASS (Armor Base 60) - Elementalist, Monk, Mesmer, Necromancer, Ritualist

They've said that in GW2 there will be 2 Soldier types, 3 Adventurer types, and 3 Scholar types. Also, the weapon types have already been announced on their homepage, which gives evidence towards the inclusion and exclusion certain classes (there's no spears or scythes in particular, but there are daggers). So given that, here's my speculations about what the classes seem most likely to be:

SOLDIER CLASS
- Warrior (almost guaranteed)
- Paladin, or something else resembling a Paragon type class without spears (seems like the only logical choice)

ADVENTURER CLASS
- Ranger/Rogue (maybe combined with Assassin)
- Cleric/Priest (maybe a bit different than a Monk, but something that will serve as the primary healer class of the game)
- Something new (maybe more of a pure rogue/assassin type of character if that's not built into the ranger.. otherwise this slot might be something completely different than any class in GW1)

SCHOLAR CLASS
- Elementalist (already in there)
- Mesmer (tons of screenshots support this)
- Necromancer, or something else resembling a Ritualist/Summoner type (strongly hinted at)
Valynn Lionhart
Valynn Lionhart
Leader
Leader
Female Libra Horse

GW2 profession speculations Empty Re: GW2 profession speculations

Wed May 26, 2010 3:00 pm
Hmm, I think I agree. I highly think they'll keep the original core classes though. There will be a hunter/ranger for sure I think.
SAL
SAL
Leader
Leader
Male Gemini Dragon

Wed May 26, 2010 3:27 pm
They might try to keep the 6 core classes, but if they do, at least one of them will be forced to move from a Scholar class to some other class (probably Adventurer). So the question will be which one, and how will that affect the profession as a result? The three different class types seem like they'll have a lot more difference to them than they do in GW1, with the different armor types sounding like they will have more of a significant impact on gameplay in particular.

My suspicions are that the Monk will be the one to get altered, and I'm predicting it moving from a Scholar class to an Adventurer class. It would make the most sense to me to boost the healer class' armor level from light to medium, since they would benefit the more from being a little more inherently durable on the field than Eles/Mesmsers/Necros would. But we'll have to wait and see to be sure...
AxelofMetropolis
AxelofMetropolis
Male Posts : 181

Wed May 26, 2010 4:39 pm
I'm very disappointed at how similar the classes look compared to gw1. I mean yeah, all mmorpg's like this HAVE to have some kind of tank, healer, ele, etc. But couldn't they be a little more thoughtful? They're taking the gw1 elementalist and making into an...elementalist. I dunno maybe it's just me but I think they could do much better.
SAL
SAL
Leader
Leader
Male Gemini Dragon

Thu May 27, 2010 8:48 am
AxelofMetropolis wrote:I'm very disappointed at how similar the classes look compared to gw1. I mean yeah, all mmorpg's like this HAVE to have some kind of tank, healer, ele, etc. But couldn't they be a little more thoughtful? They're taking the gw1 elementalist and making into an...elementalist. I dunno maybe it's just me but I think they could do much better.
I can see what you're saying. But even if they did turn the Elementalist concept into a different named class, I'm wondering if it would really matter. Would it really play much differently if they called it a Sorcerer or a Wizard, for instance? And if they do make the GW2 Elementalist play differently than it does in GW1, it won't really matter if it has the same name. And from the looks of how different the gameplay system may be in GW2, I don't think that just because this class is called an Elementalist it will play as and feel like a straight rehash of the current Elementalist class.

I think it kind of makes sense to keep the core classes in the game, since those are basically Guild Wars trademarks at this point. They need some sort of links between GW1 and GW2 beyond just the races and places anyway. I am hoping/expecting that the classes will feel noticably different though, while still being recognizable in some ways.

You know people are going to whine about it if the old classes aren't in there. But they've said that there will be some new brand classes as well, so it seems like they aren't ignoring your perspectice on it completely either. One of the Soldier classes basically has to be new, since it can't be a Paragon or Dervish due to there not being Spears or Scythes in the game, and those are the only two classes from GW1 other than Warrior that could even possibly fit that role. And one of the Adventurer classes will have to be new too, since in order to port over the three Adventurer classes from GW1 they'd have to include the Dervish, which they're not going to. And like I mentioned above, 4 of the GW1 core classes are Scholar class, but there's only going to be 3 in GW2, so one of them is either getting the boot or getting reworked into a different class.

So anyway, from this I'm guessing that at least 2 of the 8 classes will probably be brand new. That might seem kind of small, but remember that they've said there will also likely be more new classes introduced in expansions for the game as well. So you'll get to play new characters if you want, or play your favorite old ones as well. That's what it seems like they're going for, so hopefully it works out to satisfy both sides of this issue.
AxelofMetropolis
AxelofMetropolis
Male Posts : 181

Thu May 27, 2010 1:33 pm
Yeah I guess that makes sense. We better have more new characters :O

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:37 pm
They may have race specific professions. EX: an Earth Elementalist or Ranger type class just for Sylvari, since they are kinda like tree people. They may also give races specific strengths, EX: Charr strengths-- Fire, Weaknesses--Ice or Water. Nore may have better tanks, Charr better Eles, Humans better Rangers, and Asura may have a race specific Golemancer profession. Just a thought. Question Exclamation Question

Last edited by KournanCorsair on Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:40 pm
And they may include some of the doomed professions from the unfinished Utopia campain, such as the Chronomancer (Time Bender).
SAL
SAL
Leader
Leader
Male Gemini Dragon

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:56 am
KournanCorsair wrote:They may have race specific professions. EX: an Earth Elementalist or Ranger type class just for Sylvari, since they are kinda like tree people. They may also give races specific strengths, EX: Charr strengths-- Fire, Weaknesses--Ice or Water. Nore may have better tanks, Charr better Eles, Humans better Rangers, and Asura may have a race specific Golemancer profession. Just a thought. Question Exclamation Question
I think they've confirmed that the professions will be racially universal. But keep in mind that the races themselves will have their own skills, with race acting as a sort of profession of its own, so the races will definitely have drastically different unique abilities from each other.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum