Tyrian Covenant [HERO]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down

EoTN dungeon #01 Catacombs of Kathandrax Empty EoTN dungeon #01 Catacombs of Kathandrax

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:25 pm
I have yet to do this dungeon but here is a condensed version of the wiki walkthrough. Catacombs is a 3-level dungeon located in the SE corner of Sacnoth Valley. We can get there from Doomlore Shrine.

Rewards
  • Ebon Vanguard reputation points given by Swithin Nye
  • Unique items from Chest of Kathandrax
    • Ilsundur's Staff
    • Astral Staff
    • Emerald Blade

Preparations
  • a cold damage weapon is good since it can do double damage against fire elementals
  • skills like Snow Storm, Pain Inverter and knock down effects
  • skills that remove hexes
  • party protection like Ward Against Elements
  • party fire removal like Breath of the Great Dwarf
  • Light of Deldrimor for hidden treasures
  • get familiar with the dungeon maps as they can be confusing

Strategy
In general, don't over aggro mobs and we should be fine Smile

• Level 1
    • kill the Flame Guardian to disable the Fire Traps
    • kill the Infernal Siege Wurm to get Dungeon Key

• Level 2
    • kill the southern Regent of Flame to obtain the Dungeon Key
    • avoid the southern route

• Level 3
    • killing Becalmed Djinn will spawn more monsters, avoid if possible
    • killing Flame Djinn, ALL stay within melee range to lower dmg from 400 to 50
    • killing final boss, stay between the rolling flaming rocks
Pez of Metropolis
Pez of Metropolis
Male Taurus Horse

EoTN dungeon #01 Catacombs of Kathandrax Empty Re: EoTN dungeon #01 Catacombs of Kathandrax

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 pm
A note, for the final boss, we will want to spread out in between the rocks because he has intense AoE that can wipe our party in one move. It would also be helpfull to have a Shadow Form tank or and Obsi Tank to always keep agro, and minimize ifire spells cast on our party. It would also be smart to have a monk or two keep 1 or two bonds on the tank as well, just to help him stay alive.
SAL
SAL
Leader
Leader
Male Gemini Dragon
https://tyriancovenant.forumotion.com

EoTN dungeon #01 Catacombs of Kathandrax Empty Re: EoTN dungeon #01 Catacombs of Kathandrax

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:00 pm
The new shadow form tank shouldn't need any bonds, I don't think. That build should work really well, much better than the old obsidian tank (which you can't even use anymore anyway). If you're wondering about an actual build, see THIS POST for my own Shadow Tank build that I use.

Also, I'm copying this from my response in the calendar event page for this dungeon:

Sounds good. This dungeon sometimes intimidates people, but it's more just annoying than actually difficult. A standard balanced team is perfectly capable of tackling it, even in HM.

The two most annoying thibngs about it are the following:
- Getting to the dungeon is quite a trek in itself, and takes you through the burning forest area of Sacnoth Valley, which is renowned as one of the most annoying explorable areas in the game. In Hard Mode, some of the fire elementals in this area can potentially wipe out an unprepared party within seconds.
- Once in the dungeon, you've got more of the same annoying fire elementals from the burning forest. But the most annoying part (to me at least) isn't the monsters, but the multitude of traps that cause constant HP degen in some parts of it. It's mostly annoying to the monks, since they have to basically be healing the burning degen constantly. It's pretty useless to try to remove the burning condition here, since the traps spam it constantly, and you'll usually just get burning on you again right after having it removed. You also can't really disable or avoid some of the turret traps until you're already past them.

There's really no way to stop the degen, except with Frigid Armor. But the spike damage is a lot more dangerous anyway, so reducing the damage with an imbagon is definitely a good idea.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum