Tyrian Covenant [HERO]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down

The Importance of Good Spelling - Page 2 Empty Re: The Importance of Good Spelling

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:11 am
I'm from Lorraine too! (Lunéville to be exact, if you want to look it up Smile )
I like the Québécois accent and language, it's not archaic, it's "quaint" Smile

The Importance of Good Spelling - Page 2 Empty Re: The Importance of Good Spelling

Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:48 am
lol

Thanks Chris.

I guess the major difference besides the accent is the old expressions we still use. Expressions of times long gone.

For example (I added the English translations so that English speakers can see the difference):

France

1- Fermer la porte a cle (Close the door with a key, i.e. lock)
2- Monter/Descendre de la voiture (Get in/Get out of the car)
3- Assois-toi (Sit down (said to a person))

Now the same expressions in Quebecois:

1- Barrer la porte (Put a bar on the door (Medieval-age))
2- Embarquer/Debarquer du char (Embark/Disembark from the cart (embark/disembark from the colonization time when we traveled by boat most of the time, cart from the mostly agricultural population of the first settlements, you know, the ones with horses in front))
3- Tires-toi une buche (Pull yourself a log (from the time when most men were spending their winter in the woods chopping trees for new settlements))

So yea... That's why I used the word "archaic"... of a long gone period.
Valynn Lionhart
Valynn Lionhart
Leader
Leader
Female Libra Horse
https://tyriancovenant.forumotion.com

Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:18 am
Thank you for the correct spelling of Lorraine, Chris. I wish she were still alive so I could tell her I met someone from close to where she's from. She'd like that.

Ooh, and nice lesson Kami. I really wasn't sure of the difference until you showed me. I think the accents are a little different too.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum